Saturday, February 11, 2012

Celebrating Winter trying Chalk Paint

It is finally winter here in Kentucky.  It has been a mild season till this week.  Not enough snow to play in but temps are down.  We are staying in, keeping the fire going and staying cozy. 

I am so excited about these last projects, I have been working on.  The frame that I spoke of in a previous post, turned out very nicely.  In the pictures, you still see the chiping on the old frame but I (personally) don't think that it hurt the looks. 

I cut a mirror to size and did my favorite antiqueing finish to it. I used the "toile" design lace and etched a branch acrossed it.  Mercy! It is hard to take pictures of mirrors when you do not want to see what is in the reflection. 

I used the Annie Sloan Chalk paints for all my latest projects.I use "Provence, Duck Egg & Old White" in different combinations.  I am also trying the dark & light waxes for the finish coat.
The antique frame and chairs are painted in only Provence.  I applied dark wax to antique and the used the light as top coat. 

These chairs were received separately, thinking that they were the same until I got them together.
One started out white and the other brown.  This allow me to compare the coverage of the paint. This paint claims that you do not need to sand & prime.  I used several coats on both the light and dark chair to get a good coverage.  I have to say that I cleaned and scrubbed the chairs very well.  And I did some sanding on the brown chair due to the varnish coming off very badly.  But I did not sand them completely  smooth, leaving alot of chips and dents.  You can see these on all the projects.  If you want a smooth finish, I still recommend sanding.


 
I used the "Duck Egg" ASCP, to stencil the chairs.  I wanted the stencil to look worn.  I may have painted it too light.  When I put on the dark wax to antique the chair, it covered the stencil more than I like.  The stenciling is very hard to see in the photos.  The stencil that I used was a romantic "Springtime in Paris" for Royal Design Studios.  I really like the quality of their stencils.   I also took the mirror and glass workshop where I learn to antique mirrors thru Royal Design Studios.

Below are several projects I have also been working on.  A small reproduction medicine cabinet that I have had for years.  AS with everything in my log home, it was dark wood.  So I painted it "Old White" ASCP.  The inside was backed with a red calico material, I have painted it with several coats of an unknown "aqua-turquiosy blue".   Not "Annie Sloan Chaulk paint". And I also refinished the mirror.  I am not too sure about the outcome of the small mirror.  I may have to replace it and redo it. Sometimes I get carried away and overdo.  Here are some mirrors that I diy-ed a custom finish and frame for.   The far end has a silhoutte that has a rusted finish. 



 I normally go to my local Lowes and have them cut my mirrors.  But I really should get a glass cutter for these smaller projects at least for convenience.  Would make it quicker to make changes.  I look forward to doing and finishing my projects using the ASCP.  I have several small things that I have started.  I will place more pictured in my facebook album or etsy shoppe when and as completed. 

I hope you all have a fun Valentine's day

1 comment:

  1. Hey JJ, I so enjoy reading your blog. You are just growing so much as an artist. I wonder why that gene passed me by? I absolutely love that apple gourd too. Still love my school desk, it sits right where it is the 1st thing you see when you walk in the house. I am sooo proud to have an original "J. Crouch" Love you.

    ReplyDelete